Monday, January 30, 2023

Birb Goes Twerp - A mini picture book

 


That's me there with a copy of Birb Goes Twerp, my latest self-published picture book. I'm calling it an all-ages mini picture book, and it is possible that self-published all-ages mini picture books may become my thing. It is hard to tell as I have a bit of a problem focusing, but I am rather enamored with the idea of publishing more of these little books.

Before I get too far into this post, let me tell you where you can get a copy of what one reader said is an "AMAAAAZING!!!!!" book. It is available in physical form, PDF, and EPUB (Kindle) on Gumroad. Go check it out!

If you have a blog or some other venue where you post reviews and would like a review copy, let me know and I can hook you up with a PDF version. If, for some reason, which I cannot begin to fathom, you would like to feature the book or me on your blog or other venue, I'm open to doing interviews and you'd probably get a hard copy for yourself and one to giveaway to your readers.

Okay, with all that out of the way...

At some point - possibly the first time I ever heard the term "birb" used on the internet - I have wondered what sound a birb would make. I settled on "twerp". It just makes sense. Am I right?

I also thought that a fun picture book would be an animal sounds concept book (I love concept picture books) based on this internet slang. I sat on the idea for quite some time, mostly because I don't consider myself an illustrator, and illustrators are (as they should be) expensive to hire.

That said, I am a doodler and I do have experience as a self-taught graphic artist working in publishing, prepress, and the software industry for at least a couple of decades. So when I finally upgraded my iPad to one that could handle Procreate, I decided I would try my hand at illustrating this book myself in a style that I had been doodling around with for a while.

The above mentioned doodle style.

I was originally thinking that I would do them in a cut paper style with backgrounds but I soon moved on to trying out a risograph print style.

Cut paper style

Risograph print style

 I didn't choose either. Tune in to my next blog post to find out what changed my mind! And if you have read this far, thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Meng said...

Way to leave me hanging!!! I'm actually looking forward to discovering what inspired the riso look (a big favorite with me).