Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Rolling Stones (no, the other Rolling Stones)

The Rolling StonesThe Rolling Stones by Robert A. Heinlein

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this long enough ago that it is new to me again. I grew up on Heinlein's juvenile fiction, what they now call middle-grade and/or young-adult. I'm listened to the full-cast audio which is not my favorite audio format but you get used to it. I'm sure I didn't notice it when I first read it but there is a lot of technical information about space flight in the story that makes me think Heinlein was using his stories to teach the future astronauts of the world some of the basic concepts and issues associated with space flight.

This is more like a collection of stories about the Stone family than a true novel but enjoyable none-the-less. It was nice to listen to a good 'meat & potatoes' space yarn by Heinlein from before he went freaky-deaky with his adult sci-fi. Kind of makes one wish for those bygone days when space travel was more about the possibilities than about governmental funding cuts.



View all my reviews

No comments: