Sunday, July 03, 2011

Resolved!

"Unprovided with original learning, unformed in the habits of thinking, unskilled in the arts of composition, I resolved to write a book."

That is a quote from Edward Gibbon, the humble, yet I suspect insincere author of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, a multi-volume history of...well...yeah.

So, just like Mr. Gibbon, I have resolved to write a book. However, unlike Gibbon I am not a historian nor a member of the British parliament, I don't expect to take ten years to write my book (if I succeed in writing one at all), and I am pretty sure what I write will not be a history or be noted for its open denigration of organized religion, specifically Christianity, (if only to avoid the just judgement that "Little Ed and the Boys" had to endure at the end of Gibbon's life).

Also, unlike Mr. Gibbon, I have no clear idea of what my book shall be about. I have some ideas based on my interests and the types of stories and books I enjoy. I will chronicle my inspirations and share my thought process as I begin to focus in on a decision. Hopefully within a short amount of time I will be able to buckle down and start my book. Which I'm going to write. About a subject and in a genre or format of which I'm yet undecided. And I think as it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway; despite whether it is a good idea or not.

I shall write a book. It is so resolved!

No comments: